Becoming better than myself....
I have been reminded today that I can't and shouldn't compare myself to others. When I did my 5k today, I came in last out of my group (Brad and my mom/Toby both smoked me.) But I did better than last year, and that is how I choose to look at it.
As a wise man/TV character once said:
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself."~Col. Potter
I am a unique individual who has been blessed with gifts, talents and trials specifically designed to help me grow as an individual daughter of God as well as help others. I know He has a plan for me, knows and loves me perfectly and knows how best to help mould me into the person He wants me to become. While our paths may cross and sometimes even run parallel with another persons for a time, we are all here to help one another become the best version of ourselves. I have met several people in the past, especially members of my branch, who I know have been put in my life for a reason. That reason may not have even been known until years after they left. They have had trials similar to mine, or have been blessed with the words I needed to hear while I am struggling with something. These specific individuals have helped me through many personal difficulties and trials. I still tear up when I look back at accounts I have written from times when they have helped me over the years.
There are definitely times I have wondered why I am still in my little singles branch. It's been nearly 10 years since it was formed. I have meet hundreds of people over the years. Of those hundreds, I have dated 2 of them seriously. My singles branch rarely talks about the "M" word (marriage). It is kind of a joke, but true. We don't talk about it. We don't discourage it, but it is not something that is pushed down our throats as it may be in other congregations of the church in other parts of the country *cough... Utah... Idaho... cough*. Marriage is a happy byproduct of our branch.
Even though I am still single, and believe me, it sucks and hurts like you wouldn't believe sometimes, I look back over the last 10 years at the people I have meet, experiences I have had and lessons I have learned and I have to wonder if I would have learned what the Lord wanted me to do if I had chosen to attend school somewhere else, gotten married, or chosen not attend the branch for other reasons. I have had several callings I doubt I would have held if I had been a part of a family ward. (I was the RS president by the time I was 23 and was only released to become the Gosple Doctrine teacher after the former one got married!)
So, if you are a parent to a child who will be going away to college, or staying local for school like I did, make sure they get hooked up with their singles branch/ward. Even if they don't find their eternal companion there, they will learn lessons and have experiences that will last a lifetime!
As a wise man/TV character once said:
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself."~Col. Potter
I am a unique individual who has been blessed with gifts, talents and trials specifically designed to help me grow as an individual daughter of God as well as help others. I know He has a plan for me, knows and loves me perfectly and knows how best to help mould me into the person He wants me to become. While our paths may cross and sometimes even run parallel with another persons for a time, we are all here to help one another become the best version of ourselves. I have met several people in the past, especially members of my branch, who I know have been put in my life for a reason. That reason may not have even been known until years after they left. They have had trials similar to mine, or have been blessed with the words I needed to hear while I am struggling with something. These specific individuals have helped me through many personal difficulties and trials. I still tear up when I look back at accounts I have written from times when they have helped me over the years.
There are definitely times I have wondered why I am still in my little singles branch. It's been nearly 10 years since it was formed. I have meet hundreds of people over the years. Of those hundreds, I have dated 2 of them seriously. My singles branch rarely talks about the "M" word (marriage). It is kind of a joke, but true. We don't talk about it. We don't discourage it, but it is not something that is pushed down our throats as it may be in other congregations of the church in other parts of the country *cough... Utah... Idaho... cough*. Marriage is a happy byproduct of our branch.
Even though I am still single, and believe me, it sucks and hurts like you wouldn't believe sometimes, I look back over the last 10 years at the people I have meet, experiences I have had and lessons I have learned and I have to wonder if I would have learned what the Lord wanted me to do if I had chosen to attend school somewhere else, gotten married, or chosen not attend the branch for other reasons. I have had several callings I doubt I would have held if I had been a part of a family ward. (I was the RS president by the time I was 23 and was only released to become the Gosple Doctrine teacher after the former one got married!)
So, if you are a parent to a child who will be going away to college, or staying local for school like I did, make sure they get hooked up with their singles branch/ward. Even if they don't find their eternal companion there, they will learn lessons and have experiences that will last a lifetime!
Comments