I WANT IT NOW!
(I actually starting singing the song from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory when I typed that title.... )
Things I'm currently
craving.....
Creativity
Flexibility
Understanding
I realize these are
not cravings in the typical sense of the word. I guess these are more things I
am really wanting right now.
Creativity -
I want to be able to use my creativity. Unfortunately, the job I currently have doesn't require a lot of creativity. Problem solving, sometimes... just not creativity. Too often at work I have to do my job someone else's way. "It's been done like this for years, and it works, so why change the way we do things." Now, If I decide to change the way I do things, it's OK with me. But when other people I work with want to make me change the way I do things, I have a problem with that.
I want to be able to use my creativity. Unfortunately, the job I currently have doesn't require a lot of creativity. Problem solving, sometimes... just not creativity. Too often at work I have to do my job someone else's way. "It's been done like this for years, and it works, so why change the way we do things." Now, If I decide to change the way I do things, it's OK with me. But when other people I work with want to make me change the way I do things, I have a problem with that.
Flexibility -
I just walked
outside to get the mail from the mail box and I just wanted to stay outside! I
want to study outside! I want to be able to spend the best part of my day doing
something I want to be doing! Unfortunately, the best part of my day, when I
have the most energy and desire to be doing something fun, is between the hours
of 8am and 5pm.... when I'm at work. Ugh! Work just sucks the life out of me! I can
and often do spend part of my work day thinking up all these great plans for how
to spend my evening. I don't know how many times I've had the intention of massively cleaning, or crafting, or cooking, or going to the gym when I get home, but by the
time my work day is over and I finally get home, I'm beat! I don't feel like doing
anything and most of the time I don't do anything other than lounge around
watching way too much TV before completely zonking out on the couch for hours.
This stinks! I want to be able to do what I want, when I want. I have this new craft room in the
basement and I would like to use it!
Understanding -
I wish people
(mainly people I work with) understood that my brain just doesn't work the same
way theirs does. This has become increasingly evident in the number of times
I've been asked to make sure my desk is clutter free. I just cant conform! I try
to keep it neat, but there is no pleasing some people. I've had some guy in my
office tell my "supervisor" that there are too many post-it notes on my desk.
Let's think about this.... if I have a post it on my desk, it means I'm trying
to remember something. So you want me to forget what I'm trying to remember?!?!
And yet, you get mad at me when I forget to do something.... There is no pleasing
some people!
Truth be told,
when it comes to this whole desk organization, I am at an unfair disadvantage. I
am the first desk people see when they come to the office. I wish they would
just stick me in an office where I can have a door and not be an embarrassment to
the company. Actually, being in an office with a door would help with some other
problems. Because of my office's open floor plan, interruptions and distractions
are an unfortunate part of my daily routine. My office space has no door for
privacy, is connected to the hallway loop and the front lobby, break-room,
bathrooms and the shop floor is only a door or half window away. I have a hard
time with interruptions. Also located in my space is the office copy
machine/printer and the office fax machine. So if ANYONE prints something, I
have the noise of it being printed as well as them coming up to get it. Also at
my desk are the books that house the purchase order numbers and proposal
numbers. These books are accessed many many times a day...and they are sitting
about 18" from my left elbow as I type this. Needless to say, my work day is
filled with a ton of interruptions and distractions. I don't do so well with
distractions. I have a hard enough time staying on task sometimes even without
outside distractions.But people here just don't seem to understand this.
EVERYONE ELSE here has an office with a door. They can close the door for
privacy or to block out some of the noise. Not me. I have to sit in the front
desk area, which is able to hear almost everyone in the office talking, shop
noise, and the ANNOYING dinger bell they put in the lobby in case I'm not at my
desk when a visitor stops by.
Comments