On my first day of #summerbreak2017, I was blessed to run into my own 5th grade teacher, Mrs. Hamilton! It's such an interesting experience being able to talk about how education has changed over the years with somebody who taught me over 22 years ago!

After not saying anything to her in the store, I saw her putting her groceries in her car and decided that if I was her, I'd want one of my students to tell me they'd become a teacher. So I asked if her name was Mrs. Hamilton and when she said yes, I told her who I was. She got excited and gave me a hug. She thought she'd recognized me in the store but neither of us said anything. And there we stood, in the Meijer parking lot, talking about how education had changed in the 14 years since she retired. We talked about the unfairness of state tests for students with disabilities, the stupidness of RESA (the state resident educator assessment), the importance of students knowing their math facts and the benefits of working in a school with a low student to teacher ratio. I realized I was having a peer to peer conversation instead of just chatting about me in 5th grade. (Lets face it, she
had hundreds of kids in her years teaching, I didnt expect her to tell specific stories about me.) I was so glad she agreed to take a picture with me. I hope our chat meant as much to her as it did to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Printer?!?!?!?!?

Rough Day